SPARCstation internal disk lossage

Greg Wohletz greg at johnny.cs.unlv.edu
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

>there is a known problem that can cause
>internal disks in Sun workstations to die after being turned off!  The
>multimedia/graphics group has been bitten twice by this in one week.
>
>The problem has to due with the internal lubricant in the drive drying
>out.  When the disk is turned off, it can't be started again.
>
>If you've experienced the aforementioned problem, I'd appreciate hearing
>from you.  It's always wise to have good reasons for nuking your local Sun
>office.  Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Yes, we have had no less than 5 different drives fail in this manner.
We have found that if you turn the machine off and leave it alone for a
week or so, the drives sometimes start working again!

Why just last weekend our building had a scheduled power outage that
resulted in another dead drive.

We heard a rumor that the failure had something to do with high humidity...

Since we have around 35 sparcstation 1s with these stupid drives in them we
are VERY interested in finding a solution to this problem.

						--Greg