cron buggy on 4.0.3c?

Scott Weitzenkamp conan!scott at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

  We seem to be having problems with cron on SunOS 4.0.3c on a
SPARCstation 1.  Occasionally cron seems to start a job twice.  For
example, I have cron run a script called update_version every morning
at 1:15.  Here is my crontab entry:

15  1 * * * /home/rtworks/bin/update_version > /usr/local/update$$.tmp 2>&1

  At least once or twice a week, I would come to work and find two
update$$.tmp files in /usr/local.  I eventually wound up modifying my
update_version script to create a temporary lock file (therefore the
second job would exit).  This works, but I am curious if the bug is
mine or Suns.

  Are there any known problems with SunOS 4.0.3c cron?  If so, were these
fixed in 4.1?  Am I doing something dumb?  Thanks for any help...
--
Thanks in advance...
Scott Weitzenkamp, Talarian Corporation, Mountain View, CA