Adding a modem to SUN4-SLC

Peter Lucas lucas at fwi.uva.nl
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

I want to install a modem as dial-in/out modem on a SUN4-SLC.
It turns out that this can be done by using the new ttysoftcar command
that has been added to SunOS 4.1, but I have not been able to
get this running properly.  I therefore decided that the modifying the
kernel would a faster way (This was done on our previous SUN3/60s with
good results).  Unfortunately, the documentation of
SUN only mentions how to procede in case of a SUN3 CPU board, and
does no mention the SUN4-SLC (which is of course a bit strange if you
have just bought 10 SUN4s and returned the old SUN3/60s to SUN).
The documentation mentions to change the following line for a SUN3

device zs0 at obio ? csr 0x20000 flags 3 priority

in the kernel configuration file (GENERIC).
I inspected the file /usr/share/sys/sun4c/conf/GENERIC on my SLC
and didn't find any similar specification of a device, only pseudo-devices.

Now, I have the following question:
Is it enough if I add the following line

device zs0 at obio ? csr 0x20000 flags 2 priority

to the GENERIC file and build a new kernel vmunix to get things working?

Thanks in advance for replying,

Peter Lucas
(lucas at fwi.uva.nl)