FINAL ANSWER HOW TO GET DNS WORKING WITHOUT NIS: SAVE THIS!

J.P.M. van der Jagt jeanpaul at dutecad.et.tudelft.nl
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

katz at rpal.rockwell.com writes:

>In article <2821 at brchh104.bnr.ca> burns at das.harvard.edu writes:
>>
>> I have just set up a new Sparc2 and connected it to the Internet.  I have
>> set up the named.* files.  I can't get it to interpret names dynamically;
>> even though named is up and running, storing many names in its cache, I
>> get a "host unknown" error every time.  What's the matter?  Do I have to
>> get BIND and recompile everything, even though my machine came with named
>> already installed?  (SunOS 4.1.1)
>>
>Are you running NIS(YP)?  Sun's nameserver only works through NIS.
>Did you remember to put the -b flag in /var/yp/Makefile to tell it you
>want DNS to run?  Did you run ypbind with the -d flag to tell it to
>use DNS?

Or replace your shared libc with one that has the resolver routines enabled.

Hi Everyone.

The previous has been said very often before, but there are still many
SUN-system-administrators, who are unaware of this fact. I myself replied
many times on similar questions on the net (comp.sys.sun and alt.sys.sun).
I think it is time to post my digest of this subject here and I think that
it should be part of the FAQ-list (if there is any...).
Here it goes. Thanks to all who contributed to this digest.

--
[] J.P.M. van der Jagt [] Systems manager [] Delft University of Technology []
[] Email: jeanpaul at duteca.et.tudelft.nl [] Phone: 31-15-781366 [] e m p t y []

Hello,

This is a mail to a few people who asked me for more info about the SunOS
shared libc with DNS-resolver. I apologize for not sending personal mail,
but this saves me time.

0. You *only* need to change your shared libc when you want to make use of
   DNS and when you are *not* running NIS.

1. The ready-made shared libcs for SunOS4.1 (*not* 4.1.1, sorry) are
   available via ftp: user=anonymous  passwd=<your_email_address>
   at host dutrde1.tudelft.nl (130.161.180.13)
   in the dir /pub/library
   If you want the libcs for SunOS4.1.1 and you don't want to build them
   yourself, try finding out where they are by making use of the "archie"
   facility: rlogin quiche.cs.mcgill.ca -l archie

2. I include a few articles which describe how to build the shared
   libc.so.* yourself.

3. I add a few other articles which describe how to adjust libc.sa.*
   and how to make some extra modifications to customize the shared libcs.

Good luck.
Regards, John-Paul
--
[] J.P.M. van der Jagt [] Systems manager [] Delft University of Technology []
[] Email: jeanpaul at duteca.et.tudelft.nl [] Phone: 31-15-781366 [] e m p t y []
[] - He sells C-shells by the seashore - Lauren Bacall - Key Largo - 1948 - []
[ARTICLES]