EXB8500 and SunOS4.1.1

System Administrator sysadmin at toshiba.tic.oz.au
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

We receintly upgraded our SPARC1+ (with an EXB8500 attached) to SunOS 4.1.1
Everything seems fine untill you try to use the EXB8500 at which point you
get the following messages:

     esp0: Target 4 now Synchronous at 1.924mb/s max transmit rate.
     vmunix: esp0: Spurious data out phase from target 4

These keep repeating, scrolling away faster than can be read.

The first message seems fine.
The second message doesn't sound quite as good. I know roughly what is
happening, but why? Has anyone else had similar troubles? If so, what is
the solution?
  Data may be written and read while this is happening, but it seems slower.
Does this imply that data is only transfered once everything drops down the
async, and that the continual re-trying of sync mode is actaully slowing
things down.

Also, why is the max transmit rate only 1.9 when the manual states it will go
to 4 mb/s. The drives all run at 3.9.

--
John Baird
System Administrator			 Toshiba International(Australia)

                 If brussel sprouts are so good for you,
      then why didn't God make them taste like chocolate chip cookies?