Tex 3.0

Bob Sutterfield bob at morningstar.com
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

   From: SDF100S at oduvm.cc.odu.edu (Sheila Foster)
   Date: 10 May 91 13:03:00 GMT

   I ftp'd a copy (of TeX) from the uunet.uu.net network...

First, I don't know whether uunet's cache always has the latest
version of TeX, though they appear to this time.  To be safe, go
directly to the source, labrea.stanford.edu:pub/tex/unix3.0/*, where
you'll find the current patches for everything including the latest
version of LaTeX (in pub/tex/latex/*).

   ...but everytime I try to uncompress or untar it I get either 'not
   in compress format' or 'Checksum error'.

Second, be sure you say "type binary" after establishing the FTP
connection but before "mget"ting any files.  Then, say something like

	cat TeX3.0.tar.Za* | zcat | tar xvf -