Can a SS1 read DOS/Mac 3.5 floppies?

rhaar at gmr.com rhaar at gmr.com
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

In article <2952 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, "lauger at ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com"@mdcbbs.com
writes:
|> A simple question from a new SparcStation 1 user.  Can the
|> SparcStation read/write either DOS or MAC 3.5" floppy disks?

If you arunning SunOS 4.1.1, then there is built in support
for MS-DOS format 3.5 inch floppies. You mount the floppy
with file system type pcfs, then read/write as any other
disk. (see manual for "mount"). You can also format MS-DOS
floppies with the fdformat command.

Under earlier OS releases, you can use a public domain set of
utilities called mtools. I don't have a ftp site name in front
of me, but it is quite common.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar at gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.