ypchsh messing up passwd.adjunct!

Delman Lee delman at sun.engineering.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

I am having problems with ypchsh on our C2-secured SunOS 4.1 systems
(SPARCstations). ypchsh messes up the passwd.adjunct file when an
ordinary user changes his/her shell.

After an apparently successful ypchsh, the passwd.adjunct file is a
copy of the /etc/passwd file, except that the line containing the user
who was changing his/her login shell is now

AUyppasswdd:##AUyppasswdd:11:10:::/bin/csh

. This is not just bad news for the user who was changing the shell,
all other users, including root, cannot login as well because
passwd.adjunct is now a copy (almost) of /etc/passwd, therefore no
encryted passwords! Only ##login_name !!

[I am running SunOS 4.1 with C2 security enabled. I have also patched
the system with Sun Patch# 100201-02, which is related to some other
problems with yppasswdd. The line:

/usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd /etc/passwd /etc/security/passwd.adjunct -m

has been added in /etc/rc.local as requested by the patch.]

Are anybody out there having or had the same problem? Please reply to
me directly by email, will summarize if enough interests.

Many thank!

***P.S. PLEASE DO BACKUP BOTH /etc/passwd &
   /etc/security/passwd.adjunct WHEN TESTING YOUR ypchsh !! ***