CD-ROM on Sun IPC fails after multiple mounts -- The Solution

Malcolm Carlock unr!malc at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

A while back I reported that mounts of the CD-ROM drive on a Sun IPC here
would fail with an I/O error after the second or third eject, requiring
a kernel reboot for recovery.

The way around this is to do an explicit umount of the CD-ROM filesystem
prior to the eject (easy if you've written a shell front-end or something
to make the calls for you.)  Yes, eject is supposed to do the umount for
you but apparently there's a problem with eject.

Sun acknowledges this particular problem, which apparently lies with the
driver (?)  An "explicit umount" is Sun's recommended solution for now.

Hope this helps.