Looking for software for daily operations work

Marlys.A.Nelson at uwrf.edu Marlys.A.Nelson at uwrf.edu
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

Does anyone know of any software (free or *very* low cost) that makes daily
operations of a lab of workstations easy?  What I'm looking for are solutions
to problems such as process 123 on machine ABC needs to be killed and a
student employee should be able to do this without root access and preferably
from any workstation on net simply by saying something like "kill 123 on ABC"
- ideal goal is a screen/menu interface.  Kill isn't the only thing I need the
students to be able to do, other things are shutdown, delete print jobs, file
backup and restore, etc.  Students are *not* unix-knowledgeable so *simple* is
important.

I need something like this and before I get too deep into trying to develop
something, I was hoping others would have done something like this - this
can't really be a very unique requirement.  Even if what you're using isn't
very sophisticated, it might be better than what I have rigged up now out of
desperation and it might give me ideas if I have to do something myself.

Thanks.

Marlys A. Nelson			System Manager, Network Manager,
Academic Computing			Programmer, etc., etc.
Univ of Wisconsin - River Falls
River Falls, WI 54022
BITNET: ACS_MN at UWRF   (until  6/30/91)
Internet: Marlys.A.Nelson at uwrf.edu