WANTED: Reference on SunOS Kernel Internals

Jim Sisul daver!genco!bmskc!ppgbms!sisul at decwrl.dec.com
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

We are looking for a good reference on the internal workings
of the SunOS kernel.  Specifically, we'd like material on how
the kernel's process scheduler, pager, and swapper work,
including information on how processes can restrict memory
access by other processes and prevent the system from
forcing its program space to swap space.

It seems that all of the reference material we have is aimed at
users or shell programmers, even those books advertised as "advanced
programmer's guide," etc.  Our problem is that these books contain
information on system calls that utilize kernel services, but no detailed
discussions on how the kernel WORKS.

If you have any suggestions, please send me the title, author, and
publisher of the material.

Please mail your replies to:

sisul at bmskc.PPG.COM
or
{...}!uunet!bmskc!sisul

I will collect responses between now and 17 June 1991 and post
a summary.

Thank You,

Jim