Solbourne, Sun Differences

seamans at seaimage.nlm.nih.gov seamans at seaimage.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

For those who do not remember this thread, I'll recap.

In February '91, I had remarked about the differences between
the Sun Sparc2 and Solbourne S4000 systems.  Differences between them
were insignificant, except in the price.  I had also remarked about the
benchmarks as quoted from Sun.  With the test I`d run there was
only a two minute increase by Sparc 2 over the S4000.

Sparc2 = 1 hr 6 min
S4000  = 1 hr 8 min

Sun re-ran the test with their unbundled "C" complier and this test
program ran in 30 minutes.  The Solbourne marketing types promised
me a re-test on the S4000 with a  unbundled compiler, which they didn't
have on a system at that time.  It's now May 8, 1991 and still
haven't run a re-test on the S4000.

HELLO SOLBOURNE MARKETING TYPES ARE YOU READING THIS.....

Now to the bottom line.  We had a need of 24 or 32 bit color display for
our applications.  Solbourne was not able to deliver these in a time frame
suitable for program.  So we purchased two Sparc 2 GS models which were
delivered in two weeks from the cutting of the purchase order.  Those
were received on March 29, 1991.  And not to slander Solbourne to much,
we also have purchased three S4000 GX 8 bit color models and are expecting
delivery about May 24, 1991.  BTW, the purchase orders were cut at
different times.

If I ever get to re-test this program on the S4000, I will Post..

Thanks to those of you who took time to answer my query.

fetrow at bones.biostat.washington.edu
mjacob at Eng.Sun.COM
curt at ecn.purdue.edu
pbg at cs.brown.edu
katz at rpal.rockwell.com
jdd at ois.db.toronto.edu
ekrell at ulysses.att.com
@cse.ogi.edu:bit!jayl at cse.ogi.edu
validgh!validgh.com!dgh at uunet.UU.NET
pjr at ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU
wolfgang at wsrcc.com
sbil!steve at relay.EU.net
mjr at decuac.DEC.COM
motsps!chdasic.sps.mot.com!philipd at uunet.UU.NET
carlo at gaia.gcs.oz.au
siedelbe at stout.atd.ucar.EDU
jyrki at hiisi.oulu.fi
ingber at umiacs.UMD.EDU
netcom!katcher at apple.com

Jim Seamans        seamans at nlm.nih.gov
High Resolution Medicial Imaging Group (HRMIG)
National Library of Medicine - National Institutes of Health
Bldg 38A RM 712
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD   20894
(voice) 301 496-4441   (fax) 301 402-0118