Help! uucp/tip doesn't drop the line upon termination

Gil Tene devil at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Jun 13 05:40:00 AEST 1991

In article <2933 at brchh104.bnr.ca> tg at chmsr.gatech.edu (T. Govindaraj) writes:
>Since we upgraded to OS 4.1.1 several months ago we have a problem.
>After using tip or uucp (from Sun to Sun) neither machine drops the
>line on the modem. We are using Concord Data 2400 baud modems. The
>line has to be manually reset on the calling modem.
> .
> .
>We have not had this problem with the previous version of OS. Are
>we doing something wrong? Any suggestions to get rid of this problem
>will be appreciated. Thanks.

SunOs 4.1 added the ttysoftcar (ttysoftcar(1)) command/feature.  Your rc
runs it as ttysoftcar -a at boot time (usually), and it sets soft carrier
behaviour for tty lines based on the local/remote field on the right hand
side of the columns in /etc/ttytab.

The fix is simple: edit /etc/ttytab so that the modem line tty has
"remote" instead of "local", then there won't be a soft carrier, and all
should work fine. This depends, of course, on proper hardware handshake
lines and such, but since it worked before, it should work with this
fix...

HtH,

-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just doesn't pay    --
-- devil at techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --