Shadow password under 4.1.1

Hal Pomeranz pomeranz at dccs.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

Just for laughs today, I tried to install Sun's shadow password stuff
on my SSII which is running OS4.1.1, but NOT running NIS.  The installation
went off okay, but when I rebooted and tried to log in, I got an error
message from rpc.pwdauthd complaining about something to the effect that
it was "unable to decode result" when attempting to verify my password.

Has anybody else tried installing Sun's C2 stuff on a 4.1.1 machine
not running NIS?  Has anybody else seen this problem?  Is there a known
fix?