4/65, OpenWindows & The Publisher

Robert S. Smith RSSMITH at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

We are running The Publisher (a text typesetter by ArborText) on our Sparc
1+ (4/65) with OpenWindows 2.0.  As per the installation instructions, we
installed the following font path for The Publisher in our .cshrc file:

xset +fp /home/math-stat/rssmith/rssmith/publisher/Xfonts/sun4-xnews/

After doing so we checked the font path with the command xset q and
obtained

/home/math-stat/rssmith/rssmith/publisher/Xfonts/sun4-xnews/,
   /usr/openwin/lib/fonts  (all on one line)

When I login the following error message appears on the console:

"ld.so: libX11.so4: not found".

As OpenWindows has come up it brings up a system tutorial window.  Written
diagonally across the window is the message: Warning: PostScript error.
There are other error messages in a dark font in the tutorial window.
Some of them are:

	Process: 0x24a88 (math-stat NeWS client) Error
	Stack: /F1 10 /Times-RomanR /F2 12 Times-BoldR
	Executing 'findfont'

I have tried reversing the "+" in the command in the font path so that it
reads

xset fp+ ...

This apparently reverse the order in which the font paths are read but it
does not cure the problem.

If I comment out the line

xset +fp /home/math-stat/rssmith/rssmith/publisher/Xfonts/sun4-xnews/

in my .cshrc file then the "ld.so: libX11.so4: not found" error message
does not come up under any conditions and the tutorial window shows no
error messages.

Is this a compatibility problems?  Is there a cure for this problem?

Thank you.