Xterm Key redefinitions help needed

David Swanger SWANGER at ducvax.auburn.edu
Wed Mar 20 04:33:00 AEST 1991

I have been using a Sun Sparcstation IPC to talk to a VMS-based Vax.  The
terminal program I use is xterm (out of Openwindows).  Some of the keypad
keys do not work the same as real VT100 keys, so I have been redefining
them in the .Xdefaults file.  I have had various levels of success.
First, I defined keys F9 through F12 to be the cursor (arrow) keys because
a real VT100 does not have the cursor keys on the keypad.  Then I defined
much of the keypad to work like a VT100`s.  I ignored the top row of keys.
I was even able to get the = key to work like a gold key.  However, I was
not able to to define a key to emulate the VT100 keypad comma key.  The
Sun does not have a comma key on the keypad, so I tried to redefine the
plus (+) key.  My trusty digital VT100 PROGRAMMING REFERENCE CARD gives
the escape sequence for the comma key to be ESCO/*.  However, when I
define the plus key to equal this sequence, EDT and EVE do not recognize
my redefinition when the key is pressed and instead the key sends an
ESCOm, which is the VT100 keypad minus (-) key sequence.  The first few
lines of my .Xdefaults file is listed here:

XTerm*VT100.translations:	\
#override \
    <Key>KP_Add:  string(0x1b) string("O/*") \n\

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong (yeah, yeah, besides not using
Emacs)?  I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks in advance!