Disks for Sun 3,4/280?

Michael Garvin garvin at ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 26 08:00:00 AEST 1991

I'm looking to add more disk space to either our Sun 3/280 or 4/280,
depending on a number of factors.  Right now, however, I'm soliciting
options/advice/opinions on disks (and, if needed, controllers) which might
go in either or both.  Currently we have Xylogics 450/451 controllers in
both (1 per) with Fujitsu Eagle 575meg drives attached.  My plan is this:
I'd like to get at least another 600+ meg for one machine, with or without
controller (although based on the price of SMD drives SCSI w/controller
will probably be cheaper).  Here's what I've been thinking about:

(a) add another 500 - 600meg SMD drive to one machine
(b) put a 1gig SMD disk on one machine, moving its old 575meg to the other
(c) put a 500 - 600meg SCSI drive/interface on one machine, possibly
    moving the Xylogics/Fujitsu to the other machine (split controllers/swap
    for better performance)
(d) put a 1gig SCSI drive/interface on one machine, and move the
    Xylogics/Fujitsu into the other machine (again, split controllers/swap for
    increased performance on the more used CPU, probably the 4/280)

Based on a few calls around it looks like a 1gig SCSI drive in a desktop
enclosure with a Ciprico interface would be the winner (solution 4).
Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, alternatives they could offer?  I'm
looking also for experience in this area (20/20 hindsight and all that)
and suggestions for vendors to deal with/avoid.  Thanks for any help.

Michael Garvin				garvin at ncsu.edu
Mars Mission Reseach Center, NCSU	(919) 737-2365 x283