Hiding hostnames in mail (sendmail/

Ewald Jenisch Z00EJR01%AWIUNI11 at pucc.princeton.edu
Thu Mar 28 07:35:00 AEST 1991

I'm about to set up mailing in one of our sub-domains. What I want to end
with is the following:

An example:

User 'joe' works at machine 'ws1.edvz.univie.ac.at'. However this fact
should be hidden from the outside world; i.e. somewone should be able to
address mail to "joe at edvz.univie.ac.at" or even "joe at univie.ac.at".
Naturally mail should finally arrive at 'joe' on his machine
'ws1.edvz.univie.ac.at". When joe replies to the mail it should appear to
the recipient as if it came from "joe at edvz.univie.ac.at" not
"joe at ws1.edvz.univie.ac.at".

I've seen numerous examples of such mail-addresses in the past. Does
anybody out there have an idea how to get that working?  Are modifications
necessary in the nameserver (MX-records)? Or should changes be done to the
senmail-config?

This all should work under SunOS 4.1.1.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ewald JENISCH                                    NIC-Handle: EJ51
University Computer Center; University of Vienna, Austria
E-Mail: z00ejr01 at awiuni11.bitnet or z00ejr01 at helios.edvz.univie.ac.at
Snail-Mail: Universitaetsstrasse 7; A-1010 Vienna, Austria, Europe