man pages and highlighting etc

pearmana at prl.philips.co.uk pearmana at prl.philips.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 08:00:00 AEST 1991

As a system administrator, I am often writing and installing new
commands/features for the users. This also involves writing online manual
pages  i.e.  nroff files - no problem.

I generally do my development on an HP9000-350 running HP-UX6.21 and then
copy the finished script/program plus man page to several target systems,
which include other HPs, Suns and Apollos.

The problem is that when I type:

      man command

on the HPs, bold and underline work fine, whereas on the Suns it doesn't.

In fact, when using something like   man ls    on a Sun, whether in
Sunview, NeWS, or OpenWindows has no effect either.

The closest you get to correct display is when not in any windowing system
and then using ls.  This I think does something odd like making words that
should be underlined bold.

Anyway the point being that it doesn't seem to do what nroff says.

  Any ideas ?????
Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
              pearmana at prl.philips.co.uk