netstat query

Sean Mc Grath sean%fiamass.ie at pucc.princeton.edu
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

Sometimes when I issue a netstat command on my SPARC 1+ running 4.1 I get
output like :-

tcp        0      0  localhost.4854         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  fiamass3.login         serv.606               ESTABLISHED

This is fine. However, from time to time the output contains hundreds of
tcp connections like :-

tcp        0      0  localhost.4864         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  localhost.4863         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  localhost.4862         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  localhost.4861         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  localhost.4860         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  localhost.4859         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0  localhost.4858         localhost.sunrpc       TIME_WAIT

Is some daemon periodically setting up hundreds of sockets and then
clearing them down again?

Sean Mc Grath