Turning off monitors

Paul Eggert twinsun!eggert at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

jcs at cbnewsb.cb.att.com (John "C". Sucilla) writes:

>Hopefully, the research would include fire hazard data for monitors that
>are allowed to be powered up all night with nobody around to see them
>catch on fire.  I mean, how often does that *really* happen?

Hard data on hazards would be wonderful; perhaps someone from Sun could
comment?  Failing that, here's some anecdotal evidence.  I've been near
Sun monitors for about a hundred powered-on monitor-years and have seen
one go up in flames personally.  It was a monochrome Sun-2 monitor.  We
try to turn our monitors off at night, except for SLCs, which have only
one power switch for both monitor and CPU.