Problems dialing out from my SPARC ???

David Kendig kendig at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 28 07:35:00 AEST 1991

I am having problems dialing out from my SPARCstation IPC to my ROLM
dataphone (which I believe to be equivalent to a hayes type modem).  When
I use tip to dial out I get an error message, "tip: /dev/ttya: Permission
denied" even when I am using the root account.  I've tried kermit also but
when I do a "set line /dev/ttya", I receive the message, "/dev/ttya: No
such device or address".

I would apprieciate any help offered.  Please reply to
djk at sage0.gsfc.nasa.gov because we are having problems reading USENET
right now (Even though we can post).  Also, since I'm just a novice when
it comes to talking UNIX, please speak simlply.  Thanks a bundle,