LaserJet III printing problems

Roddy McColl roddy at cardiac-ra.swmed.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 24 22:32:00 AEST 1991

We have a Sun 4-260 with a LaserJet III connected to ttya. Printing
*regular* documents, such as text files and most word-processor output is
fine. However, printing PCL files which contain either soft fonts or TIFF
compressed rasters NEVER works. In the case of soft fonts, the machine
always complains of MEMORY OVERFLOW, and in the case of compressed (e.g.
PackBits) rasters, it creates pages of garbage. The command I use to print
is essentially :-

	(stty -parity 19200; cat filename) > /dev/ttya

If anyone out there has experience with printing the aforementioned
documents and has either encountered these difficulties or better still
solved them, please drop me a line.

Connecting the LaserJet via Centronics to a PC always results in
successful generation, by the way.

Roddy McColl
UT Southwestern Med. Ctr.   |roddy at cardiac-ra.swmed.utexas.EDU|
(214) 688-2910