Troubles with serving YP to sun386i from DECsystem/Ultrix box

boehme at unvax.union.edu boehme at unvax.union.edu
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

I have been having a great deal of trouble getting a sun386i/250 to accept
YP service from a DECsystem 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1. I had previously
configured the sun386i as its own master server. After futilely attempting
to convert the sun386i to a network client, I unconfigured it and started
from ground zero.

I tried to set it up as a network client but it kept rebooting itself
because it can't figure out who loghost is (syslog.conf for a client).  I
tried manually changing syslog.conf to that of a master but that also
continually rebooted.

I tried ignoring the errors and proceeding to set up the 386i as a slave
server. The command "ypinit -s server" brings back a message that ypsync
can't get the maps from the server.  However, the command "ypwhich -d
domain -m" does return the correct information. What is even more puzzling
is that another DECsystem is able to serve YP to 3-4 Sun 2 workstations
without trouble. I can't find any glaring difference to indicate the
problem.

Is it possible for the Ultrix system to serve YP to a sun386i. Any
suggestions would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric M. Boehm
boehme at unvax.Union.EDU
BOEHME at UNION.BITNET