Software licensing for 4/370

J. Philip Miller phil at wubios.wustl.edu
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

We are in the process of upgrading a 3/260 to a 4/370.  We have been using
the 3/260 as a shared processor machine with many users conducting
sessions, usually by connecting via telnet from PC's.  One of the software
packages which we utilize heavily is SAS.  In making arrangements to get
new binaries, we were shocked by SAS's new pricing schedule that defines
the 4/370 as a server machine with annual license costs several times
greater than for other SUN machines which are defined as workstation
machines.  In addition, while SAS offers substantial discounts for
multiple workstations all on the same license, no such discounts are
available for the server machines.

We have not come across this approach towards licensing which is treating
the 4/370 the same as an IBM or DEC mainframe.  Are other vendors doing
similiar things?

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
	     phil at wubios.WUstl.edu - Internet  (314) 362-3617
uunet!wuarchive!wubios!phil - UUCP (314)362-2693(FAX)  C90562JM at WUVMD - bitnet