A dump/restore HAZARD involving consecutive level 0 dumps

Ian Donaldson iand at krite.labtam.oz.au
Tue Mar 26 08:00:00 AEST 1991

sunquest!whm at uunet.uu.net (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>In the course of typing this note it occurred to me that it might be
>possible to avoid this problem by not specifying dump's "u" flag on the
>second dump, but I haven't tried this to see if it works.

A reasonable solution to this is to allow a command line argument to
specify an alternate /etc/dumpdates file.  This way you can have multiple
consistent dumps done simultaneously.

Dump upto 4.3bsd-reno doesn't have such an option unfortunately. (would
be nice!)

A workaround is to maintain multiple /etc/dumpdates yourself, by using a
wrapper script for alternate sump sequences that mv's /etc/dumpdates to a
safe place, the alternate one in for the alternate dump, then out again
and restores the original one afterwards.

Ian D