Need help building X11R4 on a Sun 386i under SunOS 4.0.1

rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org
Tue Mar 19 03:28:00 AEST 1991

I'm trying to get X11R4 running on my Sun 386i box running SunOS 4.0.1.  I
did the installation as normal (exactly the same as I did for my Sun 3/60
running 4.1.1), and the 'make World' chugged along fine until it got to
mit/lib/Xmu.  It compiled all the pic code fine, but in the link it gave
me this:

rm -f libXmu.so.4.0~
(cd shared; ld -o ../libXmu.so.4.0~ -assert pure-text AllCmap.o  Atoms.o  ClientWin.o  CloseHook.o  CmapAlloc.o  CrCmap.o  CrPixFBit.o  CursorName.o  CvtCache.o  CvtStdSel.o  DefErrMsg.o  DelCmap.o  DisplayQue.o  DrawLogo.o  DrRndRect.o  FToCback.o  GetHost.o  GrayPixmap.o  Initer.o  LocBitmap.o  Lookup.o  LookupCmap.o  Lower.o  RdBitF.o  ScrOfWin.o  ShapeWidg.o  StdCmap.o  StrToBS.o  StrToBmap.o  StrToCurs.o  StrToJust.o  StrToLong.o  StrToOrnt.o  StrToShap.o  StrToWidg.o  UpdMapHint.o  VisCmap.o  Xct.o)

ld: assert pure-text failed at d2a in CmapAlloc.o
ld: assert pure-text failed at ecd in CmapAlloc.o

I applied patches 1 through 14 and recompiled, but got the same deal.

I tried using -PIC instead of -pic for the cc command and got the same
deal.

I went through CmapAlloc.c and didn't find anything unusual; it's
math-intensive, but other than that is just 240 lines of colormap
diddling.

I got 2 compilation warnings in this directory, but I think they're
unrelated:

rm -f Xct.o shared/Xct.o
cc -pic -c -DSHAREDCODE -DSUNSHLIB -O   -I../../.       Xct.c
"Xct.c", line 499: warning: illegal pointer combination
"Xct.c", line 503: warning: illegal pointer combination
mv Xct.o shared/Xct.o
cc -c -DSUNSHLIB -O   -I../../.       Xct.c
"Xct.c", line 499: warning: illegal pointer combination
"Xct.c", line 503: warning: illegal pointer combination

I'm at my wits end, and I need to get this running. Can anyone offer any
suggestions?

Please mail to rtidd at mwunix.mitre.org rather than posting, and i'll post a
summary of what I find out.

Thanks!