Dr Gareth J. Barker gbarker at mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

A couple of weeks ago I asked:

 >I've heard a couple of people say that you can run the X11 part of the
 >OpenWindows server without the NeWS bit by seting a shell variable called
 >something like X11ONLY.  I've tried various likely names with no success -
 >can someone tell the exact name required and whether it can just be set in
 >.login or .cshrc, or needs to be in the openwin startup script.

And the consensus was:

> This is not possible or necessary in OW2.0.

More specifically:

> That was true of OpenWindows 1.x, not 2.X

> If you are using OpenWindows 2.0 NeWS isn't loaded until you try to
> run a program that requires it.  You normally only have X.

> Depends on the version of OpenWindows.  This was true in Openwindows 1.
> In 2 this happens by default.  The NeWS stuff doesn't initialize
> until you actually use it.

Thanks to:

Lie to your plants        (That's what the mail header says :-)
dd at com.mips

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
ekrell at com.att.ulysses

Michael DeCorte
mrd at com.prepnet.ddd

Steve Hanson - FERMILAB, Batavia, Il.  (708)840-8043
hanson at pogo.fnal.gov

Gareth J. Barker,
Institute of Neurology, Queen Square,
London, UK.