Use of RPC

Gene De Lisa gene at ponder.csci.unt.edu
Fri Mar 22 07:31:00 AEST 1991

My development group is now in the process of designing a future hardware
and software platform for our product.  We require both an internal
technique for our various processes to communicate with each other, and
also a well-defined interface by which new processes can be written (by
somebody else) to exchange data with our programs.

It seems to me that the RPC mechanism is well suited to both tasks.
However, I don't want to start using something that is non-standard or
will be phased out within a few years.  (This is why we don't want to use
sockets.)

Given a SPARC platform, it seems that the choice is between using TLI or
using RPC.  Is RPC generally viewed as an excentric Sun specific oddity,
or is it the wave of the future?  I hope this question does not have
religious overtones . . .

Any insights, advice, or telling of the future would be appreciated.
Please send mail to tim at grenada.bellcore.com (not to tim at grenada.uucp,
that goes to Island Graphics and they probably know this stuff already).
Thanks!

Tim J Ihde				tim at grenada.bellcore.com
(908) 699-2487