How can I get lint to work properly?

zamojski at scomg.uucp zamojski at scomg.uucp
Fri Mar 22 07:31:00 AEST 1991

There seem to be some problems with lint under SunOS 4.0.3. When I
recently attempted to lint my stuff everything went well until the 2nd
pass. By then lint always aborts saying: ... (more than 84 args ?)
Occassionally it even dumps core. Here's the excerpt from my Makefile
concerning lint:

LINTFILES=	$(OBJECTS:.o=.ln)
LINTFLAGS=

lint:	$(LINTFILES)
	$(LINT.c) $(LINTFILES) $(ZRL)/llib-lbase.ln \
	$(SCOLIB)/llib-lsco.ln $(SCOLIB)/llib-ldate.ln \
	$(SCOLIB)/llib-lmask.ln >> make.lint

$(LINTFILES): $(OBJECTS:.o=.c)

The llib-... stuff are previously prepared lint libraries of our own. The
LINTFLAGS macro was deliberately unset after trying "-abhx" first. lint
wouldn't start its 2nd pass in both cases.  Is there anything wrong about
the Makefile? Or is it just an internal overflow of some kind of a symbol
table? If so, is there any possibility of extending that space (there's no
documented lint option to accomplish this)?  BTW: similar problems occur
with cxref and cflow? Any solutions around?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail or (even better) post
the answers as I can imagine that I'm not the only one who ran into that
problem.