Memory expansion on 4/300 CPU

mikem at juliet.ll.mit.edu mikem at juliet.ll.mit.edu
Tue Mar 19 03:28:00 AEST 1991

I was hoping that someone out there might have a little technical
information about the 4/300 CPU.  I'm going to be upgrading four 3/110s
[leftovers from the stone age] to 4/310s, but the stock 8 megabytes that
comes along as part of the upgrade just isn't going to be enough.

I know it's possible to take the eight 1-megabyte SIMMs out and replace
them with eight 4-megabyte SIMMS, giving you a 4/310 with 32 megabytes,
but 32 meg is more than I really need in each machine.  16 megabytes would
be ideal.

Is it possible to yank the eight 1-Megabyte SIMMS out of a 4/300 CPU and
plug in just four 4-megabyte SIMMS and have the 4/300 still boot and run?
How about four 4-megabyte and four 1-megabyte SIMMS?  On a Sparcstation 1
or 1+, I know it's possible to mix and match memory like this, but does
that hold true for the 4/300?  Have any 'spots readers actually tried
this?

Please reply via E-mail; I stopped trying to keep up with most newsgroups
a long time ago.

Thank you.
	Mike Maciolek			mikem at juliet.ll.mit.edu