4.1.1 on SSII and SunOS 4.0.x

Martin_A_Leisner.wbst139 at xerox.com Martin_A_Leisner.wbst139 at xerox.com
Wed Mar 20 04:33:00 AEST 1991

I want to get some other informed opinions.

I've had all types of problems making SunOS 4.1.1 work right.  I've had
few problems with SunOS 4.0.x (well, sun-386i are strange machines, maybe
that's why they're not being used).

I'm exporting directories and things are very different on SunOS 4.0.3c
and SunOS 4.1.1.  I'm using amd as an automounter (amd is great software!)
and nothing right now is working right (or easily).

I don't believe in calling Sun (Sun is just another vendor, vendors are in
business to make money; if they do good work, that's a byproduct).  I
believe in having lots of source code and fixing problems.

The dates on the man pages don't seem to have all changed (they upgraded
wording, upgraded version, forgot to change dates).

I personally don't need all these "featurs" Sun is throwing in to the
kernel.  I need a working system with source code which works.

Is anyone running another OS on Sparcstation's I, I+ and II?  I don't
think cost is a problem?

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences.  Please mail me
opinions, I'll summarize and encapsulate to the net.

BTW -- the job of software is not banging your head against the wall!!
It's having a logical process to make things work.  And what Sun is doing
is not logical!!