Info requested on: RDI/TriGem's Britelite portable.

Rodney Campbell rodney at solar.card.inpu.oz.au
Thu Mar 28 07:35:00 AEST 1991

frankk at cwi.nl (Frank Kuiper) writes:

>In the Februari issue of "SunExpert" is an article "Let the Buyer beware".

>On page 64 is a picture of the Britelite laptop from RDI/TriGem Corp.

>This machine supposedly is an SunOS laptop, with MSDOS and Mac OS
>emulations available.  The price of US$ 10,800 is not nothing for an 8-48
>Mb main memory, 240Mb on board disk, 12.5 MIPS machine.

I have a few brochures here about this machine which seems to be an IPC
motherboard in a laptop case. Heres a bit of the blurb:

OS - SunOS4.1, SunView
Processor - IU-LSI RDIIU-25, 25MHz - FPU-RDIFPU-25, 25MHz
Performance - 15Mips, 1.6 MFLOPS, 10 Specmarks
Memory - 8-32 MB DRAM with parity, 60ns, 4 or 1 MB SIMMS
Media - Floppy: 3.5", autosensing 720K or 1.44MB, 16ms
      Hard: 120MB, 28ms, 1.6 MB/sec, SCSI-2
Display - Backlit, supertwist LCD, +/- 35 degree viewing angle, 1152x900
pixels
Keyboard - Sun4 compatible
I/O - Two SBus, Ethernet AUI, Two serial RS232 8pin mini DIN, SCSI-2,
External Video, Mouse 8 PIN DIN
Other - digitized sound through built in speaker
Dimensions - H 91mm, W 300mm, L 400mm, Weight 6.15KG (incl nicad battery)

There are two machines actually a 12 MIP version and a 15 MIP version
(funny that). Colour is supposed to be forthcoming and is available for
the 15 MIP version.

If anyone has one of these suckers and can comment on its usefulness I
would also like to know about it as we may be intereseted in getting some.
It seems disk space (120MEG) is the biggest problem as this is nowhere
near enough to be useful here.

Rodney Campbell	- Telecom Aust |MHSnet: rodney at solar.card.inpu.oz.au
Network Services Unit          |Snail : 8th Floor, 91 York Street, Sydney 2000.
Customer Applications Research |  or PO Box A226, Sydney South 2000, Australia.
        & Development          |Phone : +61 (0)2 364 3346   Fax: +61 2 262 3813