Problem with adding user on system using NIS

Lance Flitter flitter at atisun.dt.navy.mil
Sun Mar 24 22:32:00 AEST 1991

I have a network of Sun workstations and PCs running NFS.  The master
server is a SPARCstation 1 running SunOS  4.1.  The other day I added a
new user to the system.  I did the same thing I have done to add other new
users.  I edited the yppasswd file and added the new user with a unique
UID and the appropriate default group.  Then I ran make in the /var/yp.

So, I log on as the new user (with no password as I didn't put one in the
passwd file.)  I try to change his password and get an error message that
says "Error from 'master server'.  Can not change password.", or something
like that.  Why is this happening?  This user also had some problems mount
and/or using NFS devices/directories from his PC.  Now, some of my other
users have experienced problems writing to their NFS drives.  They get
ACCESS DENIED.  What the hell is going on?  Any thoughts, comments, witty
anecdotes?

Lance Flitter -       David Taylor Research Center, USN
flitter at dtrc.dt.navy.mil
VOICE (301) 227-3379      FAX (301) 227-3343