Unusually long time to login...

mh2620 at sarek.sbc.com mh2620 at sarek.sbc.com
Thu Mar 28 07:35:00 AEST 1991

Since I upgraded my SS1 to SunOS 4.1.1 I've been having problems with
logins taking a REAL long time, like 2-3 minutes to get the $ prompt after
entering your password.  This only happens if my machine has been running
for a day or so.  If I reboot, the problem goes away. If you put the
.hushlogin file in your home directory, the problem doesn't occur.  That
would seem to point to login(1), according to the man page:

     When successful, login updates accounting files, prints disk
     usage  and  limits (by running quota(1),) prints the message
     of the day, informs you of the existence of  any  mail,  and
     displays  the  time  you last logged in.  None of these mes-
     sages is printed if there is a .hushlogin file in your  home
     directory.   This  is  mostly  used  to make life easier for
     nonhuman users, such as uucp(1C).

I am using disk quotas.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is it the
disk quota stuff?  Is there a fix?  Thanks in advance,

Mark Horstman
mh2620 at sarek.sbc.com
Southwestern Bell Telephone
St. Louis, MO