SPARCserver 2 as Multiuser System?

Hal Bloom halb at midway.uchicago.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

I'm interested in whether anyone has had experience using a SPARCserver 2
as a multiuser system.  Some of SUN's promotional literature indicates
that it outperforms a SPARCserver 330 in this respect, and "with support
for dozens of networked terminals, it makes an outstanding multiuser
system".

The intended use for the system would be reading news, reading mail, and
the editing associated with such tasks.  There would most likely be 24-30
simultaneous users.  Could a SPARCserver 2 with adequate memory handle
this type of load?  How much memory would one want?  Any other gotchas?

Thanks for any information which might help in this evaluation.  If
been discussed, I apologize for raising it again).

Hal Bloom                         Manager: Sites, Systems & Network Services
halb at midway.uchicago.edu          Academic and Public Computing