VAX FILES11 to Sun/Unix

Wyatt at dockmaster.ncsc.mil Wyatt at dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

I have a requirement coming down the pike where I will be receiving data
on WORM cartridges which will be recorded by a VAX in the FILES11 format,
which I understand to be a native VAX backup format (I have never been on
a VAX, so excuse my naivity).  I need to process this data on a Sun
Workstation (nominally under OS 3.5, but I have a 4.0.3 machine
available).  I will have access to the WORM drives, which are SCSI devices
so I should be set in terms of drivers.

Has anyone out there been faced with this problem, and have you solved it?
I need to know if there is public domain or commercial code to do this, or
some kind of work-around.

Please reply directly to me, and I will summarize to the net.  Thanks in
advance.

David C. Wyatt
Wyatt at dockmaster.ncsc.mil