Descriptor tables on Sun sparc systems under 4.1.1

James Biard jim at soc10.space.swri.edu
Sun Mar 24 22:32:00 AEST 1991

I am working on a project that requires a Sun 360 to have a larger than
standard number of files open concurrently in the system.  As a result, we
are going to have to configure the kernel to have a larger system
descriptor table.  My question is, for those who are in the know about Sun
kernel issues, is the only safe way to increase the table size by
increasing MAXUSERS, or can I edit the param.c file and set the variable
nfile to, say, 1024, instead of the formula based on MAXUSERS.  My concern
is that I don't know how interrelated the different kernel structures are,
so I don't know if upsizing the descriptor table requires upsizing other
portions of the kernel that would not be upsized if I made only the change
to nfile.  If someone could reply to me directly at

                      jim at pemrac.space.swri.edu

I would appreciate it, since I don't subscribe to either of the digests
that this message is going to.

Thanks,

Jim Biard
Southwest Research Institute