RAM-DISK or SMART-CACHE for SPARCII running UNIX

Bruce Allen ballen at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Sun Mar 24 22:32:00 AEST 1991

The latest version of the SunOS is 4.1.1 which includes a memory-based
filesystem called tmpfs.  This can be used to replace the /tmp filesystem
with a ram-based filesystem.  I have never used this myself, only read the
documentation, but it is intended to speed up things like compiles, which
read and write many temporary files.  While I can't guarantee that it
would work in your application, it is documented in the OS manuals, and
easy to try.

Good luck,
		Bruce Allen