Denying ListHosts

Jeff Nieusma nieusma at eclipse.colorado.edu
Tue Dec 11 05:51:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec9.170307.12120 at csun.edu>, mst at mx.csun.edu (Michael
Temkin) writes:
|> In article <1990Dec05.174635.12385 at cs.widener.edu>
|> brendan at cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
|> >
|> > Is it possible to have my dns service [standard Sun named] deny
|> the
|>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> >    Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager -
|> brendan at cs.widener.edu
|>
|> Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I heard (from a friend
|> who
|> got it from an SE at SUN) that sun does not support dns (atleast not
|> without
|> running NIS), nor do they have any intention of ever supporting dns.
|> If it
|> is supported (without NIS) someone please fill me in on how.
|>
|> T.I.A,
|>
|> Mike.
|>
|> --
|> Mike Temkin
|> mst at csun.edu
|> Cal. State U. Northridge, School of Engineering and Computer Science
|> Voice phone: (818) 885-3919

sun is definately not in a big hurry to use DNS.  I HIGHLY recommend against
using sun's DNS.  they are way behind the times...  You will need to get into
the code for denying AXFR records anyway, so you might as well just make your
own named from src.  It's free...  I highly recommend making your own resolver
as well, since sun's version is less than adequate.

If you have any more questions about DNS, feel free to e-mail me off-line and
we can get to the bottom of this.

For anyone who's intersted, I have put the resolver into libc for SunOS 4.1
and made it available in binary and src form via anon ftp to
alumni.colorado.edu 128.138.240.32 in pub/libc.tar.Z

| Jeff Nieusma                         Logical:  nieusma at boulder.colorado.edu |
| System Administrator/Programmer      Audible:  (303) 492-0677               |
| Computer Science Department         Physical:  Campus Box 430               |
| University of Colorado                         Boulder, CO  80309-0430      |