How can I dump the contents of a crash/dump part'n onto floppy?

Mark A. Emanuele emanuele at overlf.UUCP
Sun Dec 30 15:06:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec29.010247.22411 at informix.com>, aland at infmx.informix.com (Colonel Panic) writes:
> Anyway, my problem: I need to give a dump to the network vendor to help
> diagnose the network problem causing the panic.  How do I copy the
> contents of that slice onto floppies in such a way that they can turn
> around and upload it at their end?  dd(1) doesn't do multi-volume.
> cpio doesn't copy the contents character special devices (right?).
> So, how do I unload it to floppy????  Am I missing something simple?
> I guess I could write something in C to do it, but it seems that there
> should be an easier way.  I RTFM'd all through the sections on panics
> and crash(1) and such.

I THINK this will work for you

dd if=(name_of_crash/dump_raw_device) of=/tmp/crashfile
tar cvf /dev/(name_of_floppy_device) /tmp/crashfile

note:
make sure you specify the proper option in tar for the size of the floppy.

of course this assumes you have a system that will reboot.

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.