comp.unix.admin.large

Robert E. Van Cleef vancleef at nas.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 19 03:54:38 AEST 1990

The way we do it is:

On your file server, you build a custom file tree for each
architecure of workstation that you support, with different
file collections for different OS versions:

	/pub/sun4.01 - Sun OS 4.0.1
	     sun4.1  - Sun OS 4.1
             iris3   - SGI IRIS 3 series
	     iris4d  - SGI IRIS 3D series
	etc....

This file tree contains all of the directories that you want to
maintain on the file server because of size, lack of access demand,
difficulty to maintain, etc...

This is then mounted on the appropriate machine as /u/.links and
on the client you set of the needed symbolic links:

	/usr/demo 	 @-> /u/.links/demo
	/usr/games 	 @-> /u/.links/games
	/usr/man 	 @-> /u/.links/man
	/usr/local 	 @-> /u/.links/local
	/usr/unsupported @-> /u/.links/unsupported

This configuration allows us to pick and choose the parts of the system
that we hold on the file server, yet we need only one mount point for
all of them.

Because NFS is very efficient for reads, file collections that are
"read-only" can be widely shared. For example, /TeX only exists on
one file server. Therefore, it must be mounted separately, with the
correponding links being:

	mount fs01:/TeX /u/.links/tex

  For things which vary per system architecture:
	/usr/local/bin/tex @-> /u/.links/tex/sun3/bin/tex
	/usr/local/lib/tex @-> /u/.links/tex/sun3/lib

  For things that are the same across system architectures
	/usr/local/lib/tex/macros @-> /u/.links/tex/macros
	/usr/local/lib/tex/tfm @-> /u/.links/tex/tfm

Bob Van Cleef 			vancleef at nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center	(415) 604-4366
---
Perception is reality...