Single site-wide uid space

Steve Giovannetti steve at arezzo.siemens.com
Fri Nov 2 02:15:00 AEST 1990

     Has anyone come up with schemes for maintaining a single site-wide uid
space?  I am in the process of developing one for our site.  The problem is a
little tricky if you're talking about a site that is large enough not to
distribute a single password file.  The advantages of a single space are
obvious when you do a lot of NFS cross mounting.  I was thinking of a central
uid database that would take a unique identification number from the person
and hash it into a uid.  Any thoughts?

SGG