Network-wide Mail Spool?

Tage Stabell-Kuloe tage at staff.cs.uit.no
Wed Nov 28 20:45:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov21.145704.10122 at cid.aes.doe.CA> aspgpas at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) writes:
>We have some systems that know about the NFS lock and stat daemons,
>and others that don't.  Net effect:
>	unknown mailer error 1
>	cannot append to /usr/mail/logname
>Had to switch it off on the ones that know about it for now (I'm glad
>it was configurable!)
>Peter Silva

Do the following :
	0) Use NFS to mount /usr/spool/mail onto one server.
	1) Use MX in BIND to point to the server for all other
	   machines.
	2) Read mail to root on that (mail) server.
	3) (If you know how to do it) Rewrite sendmail.cf on all the machines
	   to output the (mail)server as sender on all mail.  This is not
	   really necessary but makes things more elegant.

--
////      Tage Stabell-Kuloe            |e-mail  : tage at staff.cs.uit.no    ////
///Dept. of Computer Science, University|Official: postmaster at cs.uit.no    ///