FTP and tcsh don't mix

Stephen Harris sweh at tharr.UUCP
Fri Nov 9 22:20:39 AEST 1990

In article <4416 at aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com> vendiswc at aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Shaun Codner) writes:
>In article <ramsey.657905203 at sundance> ramsey at sundance.llnl.gov (Susanne Ramsey) writes:
[Problems with FTP and tcsh on a Sun]
>Yes, this is probably because you do not have the path for tcsh ( usually
>/usr/local/bin/tcsh) in the /etc/shells file.  FTP checks this file
>for "legal" shells when somebody FTP's in.  Just append the path to
>the end of /etc/shells and all should be fine.  If not, then it may be
>something a wee bit more complicated. :-)

What is this file /etc/shells ?  I am on a MicroVAX running Ultrix 3.1, and
there is no such file.
Is this SunOS specific, or am I missing an important file?
I can FTP OK to and from this machine without the file, even though I am
using /usr/new/csh as my shell.

--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh
            What an idea!	    |        sweh%tharr.uucp at uk.co.bt.axion
Wanted: humour transplant           |        tharr!sweh at uk.ac.ukc
     <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->