Network-wide Mail Spool?

Frank P. Bresz fpb at ittc.wec.com
Tue Nov 6 16:44:27 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov5.213421.6864 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu> news at usenet.ins.cwru.edu writes:

>Frank Bresz writes:

>>	I think delivering mail anywhere but the spool directory is a big
>>GIANT lose for a great many reasons too numerous to list.  I absolute
>>abhore any suggestion to do so.

>List them, please.  We have mail delivered to home directories (via a
>special delivery program I wrote that people run from .forward files)
>and have found it to be the easiest way to solve the problem in a
>heterogeneous environment.

Well lets see a fast scan if man pages and related things lists as items
which (on SunOS) specifically reference /var/spool/mail/ :

biff (1)		- give notice of incoming mail messages
bin-mail, binmail (1)	- an early program for processing mail messages
from (1)		- display the sender and date of newly-arrived mail messages
old-prmail (1)		- display waiting mail
finger (1)		- display information about users
csh			- (default setups anyway)
login			- (default setups anyway)
movemail		- (part of GNU-Emacs)