tar or cpio, which is better?

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Tue Nov 27 02:10:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov21.172717.16845 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>They [the standards bodies] are way ahead of you....  POSIX 1003.1
>defines two portable archive interchange formats: extended tar, and
>extended cpio.  POSIX 1003.2 Draft 9 / August 1989 defines a programme
>called "pax - portable archive interchange" which supports both of
>these formats.  A third new format is under development to "address
>all restrictions and new requirements for security labeling, etc."

Is this third format the PAX native format?  I seem to recall that
PAX had a third format.

This doesn't belong here but I'd like to urge the pax-makers to do
some thorough testing of interoperability between DOS and Unix.  I
tried to use this for some serious and on-going file transfer and
finally decided that I couldn't count on it.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif at doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif