Sendmail problem -> solution found

Tony L. Hansen hansen at pegasus.att.com
Wed Nov 14 13:17:18 AEST 1990

< A couple of weeks ago I posted a request for help with a sendmail
< problem on a System V system.  The problem I had was that when using
< "mailx" and an attempt was made to reply to a message with an internet
< mail address, the reply would always go to "root" on the local
< machine.
<
< I got several responses, and thanks to all of you who helped out.  Neil
< Rickert helped me find that the problem was not with the sendmail.cf
< file at all, but with the mail delivery program on System V that does
< not know about the network.
<
< I started by trying to port the Berkeley /bin/mail to System V but did
< not finish the translation before I got a message that also fixes the
< problem.  The solution I used, by Bill Houle of NCR, is to fake out the
< System V /bin/mail by using a front-end mail deliverer that fixes up
< the header for /bin/mail.  I've repeated Bill's message below.  It
< appears that this will probably work on any System V machine.

An easier solution is to have sendmail.cf invoke /bin/rmail instead of
/bin/mail.

					Tony Hansen
				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony
				    hansen at pegasus.att.com