/usr/lost+found full of entries

Chris Hook hook at cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 1 03:09:57 AEST 1990

Well, my request is pretty much summed up in the Subject heading. I have been
helping a new user on two Sun SS1+'s, color, GX board, running Sun OS 4.1. Both
machines went down unexpectedly, and now, after running fsck many times, I
still end up with /usr/lost+found full of entries (of the type #091142, etc.).
The /lost+found, and /home/lost+found (both machines having these as the other
mounted directories) are clear and empty. If you run fsck, all comes out fine
on /usr -most of the time-. Sometimes it comes out with improper inode link
counts (which is what I would expect).

So, what does one do. I realize that the entries in a lost+found directory are
inode links that couldn't be place or accounted for in the regular file system.
I have his systems running fine now (after alot of other rebuilding work).
I haven't touched the entries in /usr/lost+found, as I don't really know what
I`m doing with them. I feel (this may be mistaken) that those entries should
all be gone if I were to have a completely healthy file system.

I would very much appreciate help from all those experienced with this sort of
dilemma. I'm supposed to be helping someone, and its turning out to be a learning
session for me!

Thanks alot, and I'll post a summary once this is fixed,

Chris Hook

hook at geog.ubc.ca