Single site-wide uid space

Tom Fitzgerald fitz at wang.com
Tue Nov 6 13:50:33 AEST 1990

steve at arezzo.siemens.com (Steve Giovannetti) writes:
>      Has anyone come up with schemes for maintaining a single site-wide uid
> space?  I am in the process of developing one for our site.

We sleazed out of this one.  Everyone's UID here is a function of their
telephone extension.  For most people, it's just the last 4 digits of the
extension, but there are also some tricks to make sure that there are no
collisions, that nobody's ID is in the range 0 to 200, and that there is
a reserved space for UUCP logins and other inorganic accounts.

If you can't do something equally sleazy, the central database sounds like
the best bet.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz at wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz